This
week we began studying presentation design. I had no idea how much there is to
learn about creating great presentations. I had no idea that I have created some lame presentations.
When
it comes to Power point presentations there has been many different
requirements in different classes about the use of power point. There was so much interesting information
this week in the homework videos, Ted talks etc.
I
am a little overwhelmed with all the information that I have just reviewed. The presentations that focused on using clear
fonts and messages were very interesting.
I had no clue that using the prepared power point slides was a
presentation no-no.
I
enjoyed seeing the presentations with photograph backgrounds and learning about
visual learning. It is simply amazing how much difference there can be with
using photographs in a presentation. The
use of color and color associations were very interesting and ultimately can
add some emotional content to the presentation. Dr. John Medina's rule #10 is stuck in my head, "Vision trumps all other senses."
I
learned more about stories. As an avid
reader I love stories. I love to read
books, listen to books and to hear personal stories. The development of the story in the video by
Nancy Duarte was very captivating and brought many good details into building a
story that can change the world or give more wind to your ideas. The gradual shift between “what is” and “what
could be” and using emotional responses is a tremendous idea.
In
conclusion, I would have to say this week’s assignment in presentation design
created a lot of “a-ha” moments and “oh” moments. I have so much to learn and am excited to
implement some design elements into my blog and my presentations.

I feel the same as you do. I had a lot of "a-ha" moments over the course of viewing all the content. I felt that every nursing school powerpoint I have read was completely lame. And now have to try and figure out how to improve on it. I also thought the ted talks were very interesting. Since you are starting at LCC in the fall, what is your thoughts on your powerpoints? How will you convey all the information to your students without having all the pertinent information on the slides? Will you give them handouts prior or rely on them to write down all the information? That is a question that popped in my brain when reading all the powerpoints. Just curious what your thoughts on it are.
ReplyDeleteThis will definitely be a challenge to me this fall. I have recently met my co-instructor and she has given me the previous power points which are traditional overwhelming wordy documents. I am going to start looking more at them in August when my 3 summer classes are over! I am going to start to look at better presentation design for my areas. I would love to think of more and more ways to present information like the TED talks, Steve Jobs and all of the wonderful presenters we watched recently.
DeleteI've been using the prepared PowerPoint slides my whole life because they already look good! I had no idea that was a presentation no-no. I also found the information on color associations interesting. I always spent more time on the presentation information and less time on the visual images and backgrounds. I thought content was more important but I am seeing that maybe I was wrong!
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to the challenge of redesigning some presentations for this fall. So much to gleam from this module.
DeleteI had the same thought; I was using the default slide designs without many changes, this section of the course has provided me with a lot of information to think about and use in the future.
Delete