Skip to main content

Videos in the Classroom: Reflection Blog


According to Marc Prensky, digital natives are those among us who have experienced technology from the time they were very young.  Technology to include video games, cell phones computers and the like.  I am 50 years old, so I was born in an era where I did not have access to all this technology. I do remember Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, and yes even, Captain Kangaroo-educational programming for children on PBS.  I also recall teachers using various forms of media such as filmstrips and mini films in the classroom (yes, movie projector or the manual filmstrip viewer).  I recall some educational documentaries I viewed in school which were narrated by Dick Cavett, TV personality, actor and comedian, but I can’t find them online to give a link to them. Mr. Cavett was entertaining and has a very distinctive voice.
            Due to my age and life experience I am going to identify as a digital immigrant. There are many things I do on a daily, weekly and monthly experience in online environments. Such as pay bills, ordering from Amazon, Etsy and eBay which is a dangerous habit.  Through the years as a nurse the requirements to use the computer have changed radically.
My first child was born in 1994-in or around 1999 I purchased educational software “Reader Rabbit” and “Jump Start”.  I would sit with each of my kids and these programs until they were independent and found it fun.  They really developed a love for learning and accomplishing their learning by succeeding in the games.  Also, every evening we would read books.  Standard books paper and all!  When the kids got old enough, we took time to each pick a part or a character to be.  All my kids cut their reading teeth on the great comic strips by Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.
            I might not call someone to see if they got an email, but currently consider myself a little of a digital hybrid.  I love to read books-both paper (nothing like a brand-new paper book) and kindle books.  However, for my online learning classes I usually prefer to print journal articles so I can write all over them and highlight different areas.  I do take notes the old-fashioned way, pen to paper!  In fact, for this class my textbook is on my kindle-the bookstore I use did not know about the textbook requirement in May when I sent my summer list!  It was cheap enough on kindle so that is what I did!
Looking forward to using more and more technology to help the students learn the art and science of nursing.  I think I need to learn a lot more about possible technologies, but I have adapted to a technological age where I do most things on my phone or computer-so I think I am ready for the challenge.
            Before using any video media, I will watch it and see what other instructors have used before.  There are tons of instructional videos for nursing procedures which are boring or just poorly filmed.  The content must be reviewed before using in the classroom setting.  I would not want to show bad quality video, misinformation or other inept videos.
            I will take steps to learn about new sources of media.  Such as I have listened to a few podcasts that are done by nurses to help students get through nursing school.  Podcasts can be listened to in many settings and I may recommend some of those to students related to certain topics.  Websites that offer practice tests such as many of the Elsevier nursing texts are an excellent research.  Conferences are also a wonderful way to learn about new software programs, training and challenging the current way information is communicated.  I have so many TEDx talks related to nursing left to watch so it is going to be a busy but exciting time!
By Aaron Smith-advanced digital immigrant


Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants.  University Press, (9)5.
Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants, Part II: Do they really think differently? University Press. (9) 6.
Photo credits:
Jump Start: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/JumpStart-Kindergarten_1994_Cover.jpg












Comments

  1. I really like how you referred to being a digital hybrid. I feel that is a better description for the the one in between. I also like you always add pictures to better describe what you refer to in your writing. I kind of remember doing Jump Start at home. Those were the good days. Do you feel that nursing curriculum is ready for a more digital way of teaching? Maybe someone will come out with a hospital video game, of how to keep patients alive and deal with unruly doctors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some programs I have used where you interact online with a pre-programmed patient. She had generic answers to questions etc. But it may work better with the digital natives! I am hoping to do a lot of interesting plans with the information learned in this class. I wish this class was a full semester class so that there was more time to learn more techniques.

      Delete
  2. I appreciated your perspective as someone who did not grow up immersed in technology, but as someone who grew in understanding as the technology evolved. I am just about your first child’s age and I would assume that I had a similar experience with technology as they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember using Reader Rabbit or Jump Start? My boys also had Leap Frogs with educational games on them as well but they are younger. It so interesting to look back at all that has changed over the years.

      Delete
  3. I like the term "digital hybrid". I think it is more of a spectrum rather than completely digital immigrant or digital native. I remember Reader Rabbit from when I was little!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Incorporating Technology into Learning Experiences

     There are many ways people learn.  Most people have a certain learning style they prefer.  However, I think learning about new information can be done through various types of stimulation.  As long as a professional verifies the content and the relevance of the information in the media, I believe it is useful to enhance learning.        Most media files are available to be played as often as necessary to help the learner retain the information. Sometimes this is beneficial because often the first viewing or listening session if the participant is taking notes, and they can miss key parts of a lecture or video presentation. I often listen to information while driving and it has proven beneficial to me.      Auditory learners can benefit from listening to a recording of information, a podcast, a lecture and other audio sources. Instructors can record lectures directly into an online learning platform.  Ins...

I HAD NO IDEA!

This week we began studying presentation design. I had no idea how much there is to learn about creating great presentations. I had no idea that I have created some lame presentations.  When it comes to Power point presentations there has been many different requirements in different classes about the use of power point.   There was so much interesting information this week in the homework videos, Ted talks etc.   I am a little overwhelmed with all the information that I have just reviewed.   The presentations that focused on using clear fonts and messages were very interesting.   I had no clue that using the prepared power point slides was a presentation no-no.   I enjoyed seeing the presentations with photograph backgrounds and learning about visual learning. It is simply amazing how much difference there can be with using photographs in a presentation.   The use of color and color associations were very interesting and ultimately ...